Marilah kita baca ilustrasi cerita past continous tense dibawah ini. Anda diharapkan sudah menguasai past tense agar tidak kesulitan memahaminya.
The Old Cemetery
It was a day last August at 3 ‘oclock pm. While I was walking home on the footpath, I felt tired. There was a large full moon above me. A few trees lined up next to me, as if it was a wall. I knew, in a minute, I would pass the old cemetery that was lied on the outskirt of Surabaya, my hometown.
The wind was blowing when I started passing that cemetery. Basically I wasn’t afraid to pass that place. But, I didn’t know, at that moment, I was so scared. Suddenly I froze. I saw a figure standing near a tree. I couldn’t see its face, but she/he wore a white robe.
I closed my eyes, continued to walk and did silent prayer. All of sudden, I heard a voice.
“Do you mind helping me?”
It was a girl voice. I opened my eyes. I saw a shoulder-length haircut girl, smiling and looked helpless.
“Yes?” I said with a hoarsed voice.
“Do you mind conveying my message to my mother?”
“Tell her I love her so much.”
“Why don’t you convey it by yourself?”
“I am dead. I can’t go from my tomb.”
I couldn’t feel the road. My vision became blurred. Everything was changing slowly into dark. Unconsciously I fell to the ground.
Past continous dipakai untuk:
- Perbuatan yang sedang berlangsung di waktu lampau
- My kids were playing yesterday morning
- He was watching television all afternoon
- Menyatakan perbuatan yang sudah dimulai dan sedang berlangsung ketika perbuatan lain menyusul di waktu lampau
- While I was bathing in bathroom I heard someone calling me
- My friends were talking about me when I came
- Digunakan untuk menyatakan kebiasaan buruk seseorang
- Harun was always sleeping on duty
- She was always leaving the tap running
- Kalimat positif
I/she/he + was + present participle
We/you/they + were + present participle
- He was living in Indonesia
- They were sitting in a cafe
- Kalimat tanya
was + I/she/he + present participle
were + We/you/they + present participle
- Was he living in Indonesia?
- Were they sitting in a cafe?
- Kalimat negatif
I/she/he + was + not + present participle
We/you/they + were + not + present participle
- He wasn’t living in Indonesia.
- They weren’t sitting in a café